Wednesday, November 27, 2013

CSF Inflammatory Markers in PD and Non-Motor Symptoms

When I think about Parkinson's disease the first symptoms that come to my mind are the motor skill symptoms like trembling, stiffness, and impaired balance. However, there are also non-motor symptoms like depression, fatigue, and cognitive impairment that many people with Parkinson's disease are affected by. Previous research has linked brain inflammation in Parkinson's to these non-motor symptoms. However, in a recent study published in Brain, Behavior, and Immunity researchers studied the correlation between cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) inflammatory markers and non-motor symptoms.

For the study, there were 87 people with Parkinson's disease and 37 healthy individuals as the control group. They measured the amount of C-reactive protein, IL-6, eotaxin, TNF-alpha, IP-10, MCP-1, and MIP-1beta extracted from lumbar 3 (L3) to sacral 1 (S1) using a multiplex electrochemiluminescence based immunoassay.

In analyzing the data they found that an increased amount of inflammatory markers was significantly associated with more severe symptoms of depression, fatigue, anxiety, and cognition in the Parkinson's disease group. After excluding factors that may have influenced the results like length of time with Parkinson's disease, gender, age, somatic illness, and dementia,  high CRP levels were significantly associated with severe symptoms of depression and fatigue. Additionally, high levels of MCP-1 were significantly associated with more severe depression symptoms.

I found this study interesting as I previously had limited knowledge about Parkinson's disease. If the findings in this study are supported by other research, this could lead to anti-inflammatory medications being used for the treatment of non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Sources:
Lindqvist, D., Hall, S., Surova, Y., Nielsen, H., Janelidze, S., Brundin, L., & Hansson, O. (2013). Cerebrospinal fluid inflammatory markers in Parkinon's disease -- Associations with depression, fatigue, and cognitive impairement. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 33, 183-189.

2 comments:

  1. I found your post very interesting. I have a very close family friend who was diagnosed with Parkinson's within the past 1-2 years. It's heartbreaking to see his trembling and balance worsen as time passes. However, it concerns me more that he could possibly be severely depressed or fatigued. I didn't know that these could be symptoms of Parkinson's. I think it would be very beneficial to get his CRP and MCP-1 levels measured to see what needs to be paid more attention to. So far, I haven't seen any severe signs of depression, but I have sensed how easily he becomes tired and out of breath. However, one thing that is very encouraging is how, so far, his cognitive abilities have not seemed to decline very much. His memories of his wife, being in WWII, and just remembering who everyone is are still in tact, but it breaks my heart to know that there is no cure to diseases like Parkinson's. Hopefully they discover something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 37. My father had it, so I don't know if it's my luck or heredity. My first problem was fine motor skills, especially writing. After five years of waiting, I saw a neurologist who confirmed my fears. I was immediately started on Sinemet. All of this was 22 years ago. I will be 59 in a few days. I have had good luck with the Sinemet and other meds like Mirapex, but I was extremely tired of it. I have also noticed cognitive decline, but that is also related to a now-removed brain tumor.i had to look for an alternative treatment. I read in a health forum of a herbal clinic in Johannesburg who has a successful treatment to P.D, i immediately contacted the herbal clinic via their website www.Healthherbalclinic.weebly.com and purchased the parkinson's herbal formula. I received the parkinson's herbal treatment via courier and immediately commenced usage, i only used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks all my symptoms were unbelievably reversed, i did another series of test i was confirmed free of parkinson's. Visit www.healthherbalclinic.weebly.com or email healthherbalclinic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete