Friday, November 14, 2014

Musical Awakenings

The movie “Awakenings” is based on the work and memoir of a neurologist Dr. Oliver Sacks. In the film, catatonic (immobile and often unresponsive) patients respond to surprising stimulation like a ball hurtling towards them, being touched, and even hearing familiar music. Despite the fact that music was an unconventional therapy, this seemed to have real potential for some of Dr. Sacks’ patients and the scene from “Awakenings” that shows the response patients had has stuck with me. Familiar music is being researched and brought to practice now for something entirely different: dementia. It seems that familiar music has a calming effect on those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia which has made caring for these patients easier. One particular study (Clark) found that familiar music decreased aggressive behaviors directed towards caregivers as they helped patients bathe. This and other research has provided the foundation for the Music & Memory Program, which is working to bring personalized music to patients and to educate caregivers on how to create therapeutic playlists (Napoletan). There are believers within the healthcare field too; medical protocols utilizing music are being developed and refined as the mechanisms underlying their benefit are being investigated (Gerdner). More information and research is still needed to determine how music affects patients physiologically, but the changes seen in patients are obvious. Gerdner proposes that memory may be accessed which redirects the patient’s attention from confusing stimulation that distresses them and provides stimulation that the patient can interpret using their prior experience. Not surprisingly, at least one physiologic measure of stress has been found to decrease in response to individualized music. Individualized music provides an interesting and innovative approach to dementia treatment which caregivers can easily utilize.

"Awakenings." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Clark, ME, AW Lipe, and M. Bilbrey. "Use of Music to Decrease Aggressive Behaviors in People with Dementia." Journal of Gerontological Nursing 24.7 (1998): 10-17. PubMed.gov. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Gerdner, Linda A. "Individualized Music for Dementia: Evolution and Application of Evidence-based Protocol." World Journal of Psychiatry2.2 (2012): 26-32. PubMed.gov. US National Library of Medicine, 22 Apr. 2012. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.


Napoletan, Ann. "Music Therapy For Dementia: Awakening Memories in Alzheimer's Patients." Alzheimers.net. A Place for Mom, Inc, 4 June 2013. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Jen! Great post, I found this approach to therapy to be very interesting. I can see how music can be a familiar and comforting tool to patients who are suffering symptoms of their disease and going through treatment. I think the best thing about this treatment is that it cannot hurt to provide patients with musical therapy as a compliment to their treatment. If research does not find any evidence supporting the physiological effects of music, I still think that this treatment can be beneficial psychologically for patients, giving them a familiar and relaxing distraction from their disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think this treatment can be a great complement to more traditional care. Using a playlist is probably very cost-effective so won't add to the financial burden. Music-based therapies are also something that family members can very easily be involved with as they can help implement the therapy as well as help design a playlist.

      Delete
  2. Jen, I really enjoyed your post. Ive always been interested in music therapy in neurological disorders and have read up on it a good amount. One of the most memorable examples ive read about is actually in one of Oliver Sacks' books, its called "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain" I highly recommend it. Back to my point, in one part of the book Sacks describes a patient that is afflicted with short term memory loss. It is so severe that he can only remember the most recent few minutes. One particularly good example of what this would be like is also described in the book. Imagine those few minutes you experience after waking up very early, that disorientation of not exactly knowing where you are. That is essentially what his life consists of.
    What was most interesting about this example is that he can still learn new music, he played piano often before he experienced his memory loss. Although he is only able to practice the piece a few minutes at a time, subconsciously he remembers the parts of the piece he had already learned. There are many other examples of phenomenon such as this in Sacks' book. We are only just beginning to understand the complex workings of the brain, I find it an extremely interesting field and am always amazed by the breakthroughs we are constantly making. Music therapy is just one of many treatments we are discovering, but to me it is the most fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, thanks for sharing about some more of Oliver Sack's work! The patient you discussed who could learn new music despite short term memory loss intrigues me. I know very little about the nature of memory, but I wonder if he is able to remember things because he utilizes long term memory while playing rather than short term memory; this may have been a strategy he used for many years which would have helped him memorize pieces from minimal exposure to them. I also wonder if his familiarity with the task and the fact that he forms procedural memories play any role.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the post Jen! I've volunteered with Hospice of the Valley for a few years now and have personally played guitar, harmonica, and kalimba for patients with a number of neurodegenerative diseases at all different stages of progression. I was amazed to find how much of a difference music could make (even though I'm not very good) across such wide variety of situations. Something interesting to note, however, was that the hospice patients almost always had a stronger response to the tunes they were familiar with. I spent a lot of time learning patriotic and old-timey songs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see how that would help. It is said that if you listen to classical music while pregnant, it would help develop the brain of the unborn child. I'm not entirely sure if that works (so correct me if I'm wrong) but I remember watching an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal has Lois listen to classical music while pregnant with Malcolm. And lo and behold, Malcolm is gifted child genius haha. I'm referring to a tv show though so again, correct me if I'm wrong in regards to the whole classical music while pregnant theory. But back to the subject at hand.. when people are stressed, some do turn to music. And speaking from experience, I listened to the same musical playlist over and over again during the summer while studying for my Dental Admissions Test (DAT) which I believed helped me! And this has nothing to do with music but I heard that if you eat chocolate before an exam, it would spike brain activity much like when you exercise. And when you chew on the same type of gum while studying and again while taking the exam, chewing the gum would help with your memory which would then help you take the exam. There's no credibility behind these theories though. I just remember someone telling me this and I thought it would interesting to tell you all~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen, I agree the calming effects of music or other mediums cannot be undermined, maybe this would transition easily to video, I mean, watching a familiar movie for example. One of those classic Disney movies, or maybe a recording of close family members on a holiday gathering. Therapeutic use of these hinds of stimulation certainly sound promising and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good find, Jen! The caregivers at my granddads home asked about music he liked. I'm not sure they use it while bathing him, but they have music playing out in the community space sometimes and it's usually stuff he'd be familiar with. I'm glad someone made this connection, I think it reveals a little more about human nature and how we learn and grow. I'm sure the music we listen to has an influence on our development and physically shapes our minds. Thanks Jen, this was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen,
    I have never seen this movie, but the studies you cite are incredible. I can see how the familiar music provides a calming affect on the patients because of their continued confusion and possible aggression. It is truly remarkable what music can do for these patients. I'm glad to hear that more research is taking place and that more and more healthcare providers seem to be taking notice.

    ReplyDelete