Friday, October 4, 2013

The Darker Side of Chocolate

Although chocolate, especially the darker variety known to contain higher levels of cocoa, is attributed with characteristics of anti-inflammatory flavanols, a recent article, cited below (1) separates the cytokines for which it favorably decreases expression, and those for which it does not.  In this study, healthy subjects are found to experience an increase in the incidence and severity of acne with chocolate consumption.  The culprit? interleukin-1beta and interleukin-10 is stimulated by chocolate consumption.  In chocolate's defense, however, interleukin-22 was downregulated.  The role of chocolate in inflammation continues to vacillate, although its cardioprotective attribute is seldom overlooked by those of us seeking little excuse to enjoy a "healthy nib."

1. Cytokine, Volume 62, Issue 1, Pages 40-43
Stejara A. Netea, Sam A. Janssen, Martin Jaeger, Trees Jansen, Liesbeth Jacobs, Gosia Miller-Tomaszewska, Theo S. Plantinga, Mihai G. Netea, Leo A.B. Joosten

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting that dark chocolate can increase the severity of acne when consumed. From prior experience with acne, my doctor told me what I ate was never a factor in contributions to my acne problems since "studies" have soon that what we eat and having acne has no relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather use to be a sort of medicine man and so much of my family is into natural medicine as preventative medicine. I've always been told that chocolate leads to more breakouts. My family doesn't really eat much chocolates and I never break out unless I am REALLY stressed so I thought this was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also heard conflicting advice on diet and acne. I would have like to seen an additional high sugar/high fat food tested alongside of dark chocolate in the experiment. I feel like the high sugar and high fat in chocolate is the cause of the activation of IL-1Beta and IL-10. High sugar/high-fat foods can increase the function of the sebaceous glands. These glands produce inflammatory responses, one of these responses being acne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm a little late on this conversation, but I believe, given I haven't done much research on the topic, that cacao itself is a super food with high antioxidant properties. What happens in chocolate is it's processed and like Raven mentioned, the addition of sugar and dairy to the pure cacao is what causes the inflammatory response in our skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally know that there is a big difference between dark chocolate and milk chocolate. As you mentioned dark chocolate has more cocoa in it, which has many antioxidant effects. In milk chocolate on the other hand there are much more other sweeteners and high fat milk that could cause the acne on the subjects. I would guess that the subjects were consuming milk chocolate and not pure dark chocolate and the fat and sweeteners were causing the “bad” effects in their body.

    ReplyDelete