Monday, December 2, 2013

What are NSAIDs?

The topic up for discussion for the next two weeks is antiinflammatories. My article, in particular, is about the use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs.

What exactly are NSAIDs?

NSAIDs are medications that are prescribed to provide relief from pain and fever. They work by reducing the production of prostaglandins by blocking the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX). Prostaglandins are a family of chemicals that promote inflammation, pain, and fever, and are produced by the two types of COX enzymes. COX-1 enzyme is present in most tissues and is responsible for functions like protecting the lining of the stomach from stomach acid and is involved in kidney and platelet function. While COX-1 is constantly expressed in most tissues, COX-2 is only expressed when induced by inflammation. The main function of COX-2 enzyme is to cause pain and inflammation in the body. Thus, since NSAIDs essentially block the function of the COX enzymes, the protective functions of COX-1 and inflammation-inducing functions of COX-2 are inhibited.

There are two types of NSAIDs: selective and non-selective. Selective NSAIDs inhibit only COX-2 enzymes, while non-selective NSAIDs inhibit both COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes. Thus, while non-selective NSAIDs have the ability to inhibit inflammation and pain effects, they are associated with an increased risk of gastric ulceration and direct irritation of the stomach lining. That is why selective NSAIDs are more often used; inflammation and pain effects are blocked while prostaglandins that protect the stomach are still produced.

However, this doesn't mean that the use of selective COX-2 inhibitors is the best solution to relieving pain or fever. There are some serious cardiovascular risks associated with COX-2 selectivity of NSAIDs. What we will discuss later in class is how the degree of selectivity of COX-1 or COX-2 enzymes of the NSAID is related to cardiovascular and gastrointestinal risks.

If these COX inhibitors come with so many serious risks, is it even worth using to ease pain? Why try to relieve pain in one area when the pain relievers can in fact cause even more damage to your body?

References:
http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_antiinflammatory_drugs/article.htm
http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/treatment/nsaids-non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs/78
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179211.php

7 comments:

  1. Nice preview for next week's discussion. According to an article that I found online, migraine ranks in the top 20 of the world's most disabling medical illness. I myself am suffering from a heavy migraine. To ease pain, I use pain killer, which many of them have NSAID (I don't even know whether it's a selective type or not), due to my chronic daily headache, and I am so glad that this topic came up. I'm looking forward to your presentation. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always the person who took Advil, a NSAID, as soon as I got a headache. Recently that I learned about NSAIDs and the different problems that these drugs might cause besides helping with the pain I have stopped taking them as much. This information that you provided was great since now I know what exactly these drugs do to help the pain. Also what other benefits they have and what other problems the cause! For example I knew that COX-1 deals with some GI tract and mucus membranes but I did not know that NSAIDs effect the COX-1 and COX-2 that much and that there are different types of NSAID drugs that work differently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this review about NSAIDS! I never really understood what exactly these drugs do in our bodies. I've ALWAYS used Ibuprofen, it was my go to whenever I had a headache. I do believe that this is a non-selective NSAID. After using it for so long, I started to get really bad acid reflux and stomach pains. So I had to stop taking NSAIDs for my headaches. Now anytime I get a headache, I just drink a ton of water, because after moving from the east coast to the desert four years ago, I never really got into the habit of drinking enough water. So I am constantly dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to severe headaches, so this is one way to alleviate the pain of a headache without the negative side effects of the NSAIDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just posted a blog on a new NSAID that was approved recently, ZORVOLEX. I found it interesting how there were cardiovascular and gastrointestinal risks involved with taking NSAIDs at a high dose. This new NSAID was made with a new technology which reduces the particle size, and leads to faster dissolution. ZORVOLEX is prescribed in low doses, to prevent the cardiovascular and gastrointestinal risks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this because the first thought that came to my mind was that NSAID's were produced by the body until I had looked them up on the internet and had read this post. The fact that they can cause even more pain makes me question as to why they are even approved by the FDA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To answer your question if COX inhibitors come with so many serious risks is it even worth using to ease the pain? I typically would say yes because I’ve experienced painful migraines and I would take and try anything to get rid of them. So during a moment of extreme pain, it is really easy to not think twice about future complications. However, after reading more about this, I would say we should probably decrease the amount of NSAIDs taken. Therefore, breaking the habit of taking certain pills right when we experience pain and allow our bodies to heal naturally. After I did more research on alternative ways to relieve stress, drinking plenty of water as Leanna said was mentioned. In addition, certain forms of massages and meditation can help relieve stress. I think if we develop a healthier routine for when we experience pain, it will be easier for each of us to not use NSAIDs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to agree with the rest of the comments and say yes the risks are worth it when you have a headache so bad you would do anything to make it stop. I also have horrible elbow pain that often I feel I would make sacrifices to make it stop. I'm sad none of the articles went over meloxicam because that was the most recent one I was prescribed which is a cox 2 inhibitor. It's a little unnerving that it causes renal failure and death in cats. I wonder why cats can't handle it but humans can, and if it is still causing some damage. there is a website some one made because their cat died from it apparently http://www.metacamkills.com/

    ReplyDelete